Story {5 Minute Friday}

What is the story behind this picture?  Is it a father and daughter?  A mother and son?  Is it a couple in love?  A couple in the midst of celebration?  In the midst of tragedy?

Every picture has a story. Some say a picture is worth a 1,000 words.  Is this one?  You bet.

Documenting our story through pictures is a wonderful way to remember exciting, monumental moments in our lives.  I’ve always wanted to be a photographer.  In my dreams I’m working professionally as a photographer.  As in any other profession there are ups and downs to any job.

The story behind this photograph is a man and woman.  A husband and wife.  In the midst of tragedy.

I had the honor of photographing a friend just after she’d delivered, at 19 weeks, her stillborn baby. The baby she’d been praying about for months already.  It was a very emotional night.  Her little tiny baby boy was perfect….10 fingers, 10 toes, perfectly formed mouth, nose, eyes, ears, just beautiful.

The glorious moments of your story are typically photographed.  Weddings, graduations, babies, first days of school among them.   These sad, tragic moments are sometimes just as important to photograph because they are part of your story.

This post is linked up Gypsy Mama for 5 Minute Friday.

Five Minute Friday

What is 5 Minute Friday?

1. Write for 5 minutes flat on the prompt: “Story” with no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link to Gypsy Mama and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

So…what’s your story?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you enjoyed this post, say thanks by sharing it!

18 Responses to “Story {5 Minute Friday}”

• Jacque @ Mercy Found Me says:

Yes, you are so right. As a labor and delivery RN I have been present for many stillbirths, and documenting the moments with photography helps so much with the healing process. In fact there’s a group of volunteer photographers at nowIlaymedowntosleep.org who are willing to be called anytime when there is a stillbirth, and they come and take professional pictures for free! What a blessing they are! Patients have returned years later to retrieve photos they thought they didn’t initially want, but had progressed through their grief and finally wanted the pictures to continue their healing. Our stories are filled with both joy and pain, and it is both that mold us into who we are, with the capacity to empathize with others.
    Blessings to you!
    ~Jacque

• Jacque,
      I have heard of that foundation. I am not yet professional…although I’d love to be. I wonder if they’d let me join. I’ve miscarried twice but earlier than when we’d be able to have photos. I simply told her I know it’s something I wish I did have. It was beautiful. So much love…and I think perhaps a little therapeutic for me.

Thanks so much for stopping by to comment. I tried to think of something else but this is what was on my mind this week.

~Kelly

• Jacque @ Mercy Found Me says:

I say YES! Volunteer!! It sounds like this is your gift and a way God can use you to bless others and continue in your own healing too. I just love how God takes our deepest misery and transforms it into our greatest ministry! Many blessings to you!

• You are so right Jacque. I think I’m going to sign up right this minute. I am editing the rest of her photos now and I’m really feeling pulled in the direction to continue helping in this way. Thank you so much for the advice!!

• Brenda says:

Wow…what a beautiful picture. What a heartbreaking story. I will be praying for this couple!

• Brenda, thank you so much for the prayers. They definitely need them! The glorious part of this is that she was never supposed to get pregnant. He’s a miracle baby for sure!

• Mattie says:

Here from FMF. Thank you for doing this for your sweet friend. I delivered my stillborn daughter at 28 weeks in 2009 and my son was stillborn at 19 weeks in 2010. I had a dear photographer friend of mine volunteer with the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep Foundation just to take our photographs when we lost our daughter. Those photos and a little blanket and footprints is all we have left of two of our children. You did something hard for a friend and she will never forget it. Thank you for serving when it hurts and being there for her. You have no idea how much that meant to her…

• Oh Mattie! My prayers are with you. I truly believe it is something you never get over. I’ve miscarried myself twice and really feel as though I’m called to help in any way I can when a friend or even a stranger miscarries. Mine were spontaneous and natural miscarriages a bit earlier than yours. I do not have any photographs but holding her sweet baby really helped me heal a bit. It was something I was really missing. I wish I had photos. I do have a blanket for each…I’ll hold on to those forever. She was worried that being there would be too hard on me. Such a selfless woman. I am so sorry for your losses. I hope that if you ever need to talk you know you can always come to me. I’ll listen and pray with you.
      ~Kelly

• Jillian @ Hi! It's Jilly says:

Your blog is so great! I’m glad to have found you through the Naptime Review hop! I wanted to nominate you for the Versatile Blogger award. For details go here- http://hiitsjilly.blogspot.com/2012/07/award-for-me-awww.html. Have a great day! :)

• Melanie says:

Very good reminder to my heart… the good and the bad are all part of our stories. I should not try to “edit” out the bad parts, but instead embrace each one.

I’d love to invite you to join in my online Bible study of Ephesians — starts next week! :)

Blessings,
    Melanie

• Thank you so much Melanie for commenting. I too try to weed out the bad parts but they are all part of what makes me, me. I have just now started to really start embracing that I no longer need to fear these things but need to realize they are stepping stones.

I’m going to check that out! I’m doing a Proverbs 31 study now that has I think 4 weeks left…but who couldn’t use more bible study?!?

• Sara says:

So many heart-breaking stories.

And you are an amazing photographer, it is no wonder where the older one gets it from.

*hugs*

• Thanks so much! I’d love to do it professionally…might think about it! If I don’t do it maybe the big one will. He loves photography. It’s amazing. You know who to call should you need any pics!!

• Tanya says:

What a beautiful way to capture a tragedy. I hope you do decide to volunteer for the foundation or pursue what you love. My first angel was a baby girl born at 20 weeks. I have a Polaroid of her wrapped in her pink gown and hat which I still have. I wish I had a more professional photograph of my beautiful Maya or a picture of my, husband and I with her. It all happened so fast and just the shock of the loss, I never would have thought I would cherish a better picture of her. It seems like a lifetime ago. One more miscarriage and three healthy, active, bouncing baby boys later and I still mourn for her, always will I suppose. People always ask if we would try for another girl, not knowing we already have an angel daughter, I don’t want any girl for the sake of having a girl, I want HER back. Thanks for sharing and let your friends know my thoughts and prayers are with them.

• Oh Tanya. I am so super sorry to hear about your loss. I think we’ll always mourn over our babies. I know I do and all I have are the blankets I bought for each of them. I’ll be totally honest. I almost didn’t offer. I felt like maybe she wouldn’t want them or maybe it was too personal. She was so happy and just took it as a sign that she would want them. I’m so happy it worked out. It is so hard when people ask or say things that hurt even though they don’t know your history. If you ever need to talk…please email me. If anything I’m here to listen.

I will tell her you are praying for her. My prayers are also with you.
      ~Kelly
      kelly(at)exceptionalistic(dot)com

• Julie Jordan Scott says:

It is perfect for you to have commented on my first Gypsy Mama Friday post… so I could see this. I had a stillborn little girl in February 1990. My biggest regret, never holding her, never getting photos, never never never…. oh, still hurts.

I was 34 weeks pregnant.

She would be 22 if she were here. She has younger siblings: 20, 15 and 11. I wonder sometimes how our family would be different if she had lived. I will pray and pray and pray. Thank you for being there for her.

• Julie,
      My heart is with you tonight. If you don’t mind me asking what did you name her? I can’t imagine the pain you feel. I have tears in my eyes reading this. I know I will feel the same way years from now. I do hope you do something special on her angel day…light a candle, pray or send a balloon up to heaven in honor of her. I mean this from the bottom of my heart. If you ever need to talk please email me. I am happy to listen. There is a book that helped me tremendously. It’s called ‘I’ll Hold You In Heaven’ and it really was therapeutic for me.
      My prayers are with you…
      ~Kelly