Unexpected lesson {Into the Word Wednesday}

I love when the Lord speaks to us in unexpected ways.  Today was one of those days.

The kids and I were headed out to grab a quick lunch with my mom earlier this week.  As we got in the car the rain started to drizzle.  As we left the driveway the sky turned dark.  There was an unknown car parked on the street across from our house.  I had seen it last week in the driveway of a neighbor but didn’t think much about it.  We continued on about our way.

The rain was coming down in buckets, thunder crashing.  We thought twice about heading to the restaurant less than 4 miles from our home.  We turned back.  The rain continued, not planning to stop any time soon.

As we drove back to our house we saw the car again.  The window was open.  Rain pouring inside the car.  All I could think of is what an awful mess it would be to clean up.  Scouring the garage to find something, anything to cover this window my oldest was trying to help.

He’s 5 going on 12.  So inquisitive.  The entire time he was asking why I was covering up the window.  I explained to him that sometimes we do things to help others.  I knew the neighbors were at work and didn’t know how long the storm would last.  I explained that this small thing would take 10 minutes and a change of clothes for me to help.  The damage to that car sitting in the rain for an entire day would take much more time for the neighbor.

We found a large lawn trash bag.  The big one watched the little one in the safety of the garage as I ran down the driveway.  I didn’t take an umbrella because it would really have been of no use.

I opened the door, covered the window as best I could just trying to keep the water from rushing in.  After changing and drying off, I started getting lunch ready.

My oldest turned to me and said ‘Mommy, that was a really nice thing you did for those people.’  Wow. I was floored.  I don’t know why.  I guess I didn’t expect him to think much more about it but he did.  The wheels had been turning.

I began thinking about how much children watch our actions rather than our words and what the bible says about this. You can hover over the verse to see more.

Proverbs 22:6

James 3:13

1 John 3:17-18

Colossians 3:23

Is there a time recently that your children watched your actions and reacted to it?  I’d love to hear about it!

–Join my co-hostesses and I this week for Into The Word Wednesday!

Becky at Tales of Beauty for Ashes

Sarah at Fontenot Four

Kelly at The Houtz House Party

Falen at Upward Not Inward

Kelly at Exceptionalistic (looks like you found me!)

Into the Word Wednesday blog hop rules (if you wouldn’t mind!):

1. Link up about something you are learning this week.

2. Follow all hostesses via GFC or Google +.

3. Grab a button to put on your blog – the more the merrier! Check out our sweet new button…

Tales of Beauty for Ashes

Check out (and comment) other people’s blogs to bless them today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
If you enjoyed this post, say thanks by sharing it!

14 Responses to “Unexpected lesson {Into the Word Wednesday}”

• Falen says:

Ohhh that’s so precious! I’ll have to think about a time with my kids’ reactions… Great post!!

• Jelli says:

It’s always inspiring to see people go out of their way to bless someone else like you did here. My husband is one of those great man types that always lends a helping hand. It’s one of my favorite qualities about him. He helps women get their strollers over high curbs on sidewalks, jogs after people who’ve dropped $ or something else and not noticed, and is very aware of what’s going on around him and how to help. Thanks for sharing this post, Kelly.

• Oh thank you. I really wasn’t thinking of it being a lesson and it turned into one quickly. It made me remember to be on the lookout for other opportunities. Your husband sounds like a very sweet man. Tell him to keep it up!

• Becky says:

It’s so true, our kids are constantly watching us. Way to be a great example to your little one! :)

• Sara says:

Hey Kelly, I linked up this week! The code isn’t working though for the button. :( Great way to live your walk!

• Jennifer says:

So true that our kids watch what we do more than we realize! I, too, found myself in a similar situation recently after I gave some money to a homeless man on the side of the road. After talking to my 4 year old about why I gave him money and the such, she paused for a little bit and then said “That was really nice of you, mom!” :) It was a great moment!

• Wow! That is amazing. I had a similar experience recently. You can read it here (only if you wish). I was trying to avoid the questions of having to explain to my oldest about homelessness. I hope you blogged about yours too. If you did I’d love to read it!

• [email protected] A Proverbs 31 Wife says:

What a wonderful way to show your children how to love others!

• Kelly @ The Houtz House Party says:

Yikes what a GREAT reminder for me to REMEMBER my kids are watching me! When we get going in daily life we forget sometimes and that’s not a good thing. AWESOME post as usual!

• Thank you Kelly. I appreciate your words. I do sometimes forget that they are watching everything. This was a big reminder that in this instance it was a great thing I was doing…whoooo….thank goodness!

• Mrs. Monologues says:

I am just so in love with this story, and what an amazing way to teach your children by leading by example. I am so happy you shared this post with me!